Dedicant's Path

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Nine Virtues: Piety




As defined by the Handbook: Correct observance of ritual and social traditions,  the maintenance of the agreements, both (personal and societal), we humans have with the Gods and Spirits, Keeping the Old Ways through ceremony and duty.  

piety -n,  pl -ties 1. reverence for God or devout fulfillment of religous obligations.  2) the quality or state of being pious.  3) dutiful respect or regard for parents,  homelande, etc: filial piety 4) a pious act, remark, belief or the like. (Webster's Universal College Dictionary -1997 Gramercy Books Random House New York New York

Religion is  a semi-solitary activity.  We each struggle with our own available resources.  Piety is our day to day interactions with the spiritual realm, and our intent and actions  in recognizing them and making them holy.     It's the time sitting at our shrines making offerings, its about attending the eight sabbats and keeping them sacred,  and its about keeping our spiritual lives organized and tidy.   I was recently chastised about not walking the walk in my faith.  Its not always about attending a weekly church service, especially in the case of paganism.  It is the talks to the deities, ancestors, and nature spirits and making those connections, and keeping those connections open.   It is the meditations and following through of our oaths: 

I , Cat take the name Stonegiver in honor of the patrons who bless my paths.    I promise to forge pathways with the spirits, Shining Ones, and ancestors.   I take an oath to finish the Dedicant’s path, and follow the guidance of the powers towards  whatever paths they may lead.   I take an oath to make room in home and hearth for all powers gathered here.    I promise to stay steadfast in my devotions and to keep the light of the Gods in my heart. 

It is doing the legwork to understand our religion and the beings that inhabit those realms.  

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment